Cryptpad is a freemium, open source, zero knowledge, enctyped document service.
Cryptpad is based in France, which Eve is very happy about (she’s french)! If you want maximum security , Cryptpad is probably for you. It has all of the tools you can use in Google Docs and also a sketchpad. There is a free version as well as premium options. The major downside of Cryptpad is that it doesn’t currently have a mobile app, so you are forced to use it through the web browser. From the web browser of a computer, the user interface works great. However from a mobile phone, the UI is a pain. That’s the only reason I don’t use Cryptpad myself.
It has an impressive feature set:
- Rich text editor (like Word)
- Code editor
- Presentation editor
- Spreadsheet program
- Poll program
- To-do list (Kanban)
- Whiteboard editor
As Cryptpad is open source you can host your own instance of it if you wish, however I think most of us mere mortals are just fine with paying for the premium options.
- Open source
- Free for most features
- Easy to use
- Has every kind of document you’d usually need
- Zero knowledge
- You can use it with the Tor browser for complete anonymity
- Option to have cloud storage (or you can use it on the fly without saving)
- No mobile apps
- Mobile web browser apps are not easy to use on my phone, especially the spreadsheets
- No computer apps, it can only be used in the web browser (where it works well)
- The code editor doesn’t support previews for more advanced languages like PHP
Score: 7 / 10
Reviewer: Adam RougeSkip to full score summary